Monday, June 14, 2010

A moment to spare?

Whew. I knew being a mom would be a busy job, but my goodness! It has just been non-stop since we got home. I had to start work just a few days after getting home--I had been notified a while back that I was being put on Family Leave (unpaid, ugh!) and with summer coming (two more months of no paychecks), I just had to go back. It is such a blessing that my mom spent 3 weeks with us in Uganda, so Dorie has been thrilled to get to visit with her every day. I've been able to leave a little early each day, so it has been manageable for all of us.
But...as soon as I get home, Dorie wants ALL of my attention. And I want to give it to her, but there are times I cannot. Like when I need to make a potato salad for my mom's birthday bash...or when I need to make Dorie's first doctor's appointment...or when I realize I left a load of wash in the machine 3 days ago and now it stinks and has to be re-washed right away.

I will say though that Dorie is an amazing helper. She loves to do things with me. She can do dishes, fold laundry, clean up her toys, and even chop veggies (I know, I know). It's wonderful. We are a little team, and we are great together.

However, every little thing makes my Sweet Baby Girl cry. If I correct her in the slightest way, she bursts into tears. She is just so sensitive right now. And understandably so. I am very ready for school to be over so we can just be together all the time and I can reassure her.

Three days left. Woo-hoo!
She loves her uncles!
She loves the trampoline...especially when her cousins are there to jump with her! She could bounce all day long.

6 comments:

  1. I wondered if you would be going back to work right away, or if you would be able to wait until next fall. It is a busy life to be working and to have kid(s) at home. So glad your mom can be with Dorie and that you are almost done for the summer. I can't wait to meet Dorie and to see you... and to see you as a Mom. I have no doubt that you are TERRIFIC! Just think... God designed it a long time ago that you, Merry Melissa, would be a mom to Dorie. That is so AWESOME! :-)
    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Mommyhood! It is so wonderful to hear how you are both doing and to see pictures! Dorie looks as precious as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that fact that Dorie is willing to help...and even likes it. Keep that going : )

    The pictures are just darling! So happy you are home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun pics! Her long hair makes her look different! I feel like I have watched her grow at lightning speed just based on her hair length! Glad you are at home and your family can support you!! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get used to rewashing clothes...it happens often to me that wash gets forgotten and I open the washer to do a new load, and, "Whoa! Hmmm. Oops!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO great to see!!! I'm just now learning you are home, and I'm THRILLED for you!!!! Welcome home, sister!!! Thank you, Lord!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete