Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Ever seen the movie "Groundhog Day?" Sometimes it feels like that here. Don't get me wrong...we're having a great time, but the days are all kind of the same. We are so, so thankful for Brian and Lynne and their willingness to host us. It is making everything so much easier!

Dorie's school is from 7:30am-4pm each day. Can you imagine?? And that is pre-K. I kept her home the last few days. Monday it rained, and since I ride with Dorie on a boda boda (motorcycle) to school each day, it just wasn't going to happen. It's so fun to be out in the morning, watching all the children walking to school, though. I love it. It's about 30 minutes round trip for me. Tuesday we were all recovering from her Monday-night meltdown, so I wanted to spend the day with her again. It proved to be a good idea. She still had a bit of a hard time last night, but she did much better. I have decided to be reassuring yet firm with her. I let her cry and scream, but every few minutes I would walk over, rub her back and kiss her on the forehead. I would tell her I loved her and that I was sorry she was so sad. Then I would ignore her for a few minutes. It sounds harsh, but I think she is playing my mom and me a bit. Ater a little while she calmed down, and she did want me to sleep with her. I was glad for that.

Grace, Lynne's Ugandan housekeeper, brought her girls over for dinner last night. In anticipation of them coming, Dorie asked Grace what color skin her daughters had!


She is learning to play games with Julia and Liana...she got really into Memory!








She also loves brushing hair (mine, any doll, even My Little Pony) and dressing dolls. She is learning to play!
She also plays the local drum in our hotel...my girl has rhythm! And yes, she can move that little body of hers like there's no tomorrow. Poor thing to have a white mama with NO moves at all!

4 comments:

  1. Dorie is such a beautiful girl.....her happiness shines thru her pretty face! I love that she plays the drums! It would be a wonderful thing to hear from across the street (from Grandma and Grandpa's house)!!!!

    Keeping you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank so much for taking the time to update. It brings me back to our time in Uganda. Your daughter is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun to learn more about our little friend! My kids are hanging on every bit of info. They thought it was SO COOL that you two ride a motorcycle to school! :) Funny about learning to play and liking the drums and dancing, etc.... These pics really do reveal a girl who is loved and who is feeling safe and excited about things in her life. But yes, the tenderness of her feelings and visiting her mom, being left?, coming back, melting down...these are very sacred and deep. What a brave girl! I'm sure the Lord will use this experience, at an age she will be able to process, to do big things in her life. Being paired with you in life is for the strong of heart! You are a great and godly mom who will love her and challenge her and cherish her and allow her to be herself while continually pointing her to a life of faith in the Lord. What a blessing! How blessed you both are! Thank you Lord! Keep the news coming! :) Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, c'mon... you know there's rhythm in you just dying to get out. :-) <3

    ReplyDelete