Friday, February 19, 2010

Success!

We had our first successful night together. It was amazing! After leaving Lynne and family (we're staying a block away at a guest house), we walked back. Doreen did great. She knew how to use the toilet (whew!), but toilet paper is unfamiliar to her. I have to remind her every time. She is very curious and likes to flush the toilet and watch it go down. She's not quite strong enough, so it doesn't always flush completely, but she is proud. So cute!

When it came time for the bath, she stripped down and waited by the tub for the water to warm up. She started hopping up and down...she could hardly wait! Once she got in, she was all giggles. It was obviously her first bath with running water (we had a detachable shower head that she used), but boy was she a happy girl. I got it on video...you will all love it!

She loved her pajamas! It was a three piece set (shirt, shorts, and pants). She was so tickled with the shorts that she put them on over her pants! After her bath she strutted around the room with her new backpack, raincoat, and shoes. She was so, so happy and giggly!

We brushed teeth and then sat on the bed and read some books. She has nodded "yes" to everything, so I didn't think she was understanding a lot. However, when I asked her if she was ready for bed, she sternly shook her head "no." Wow! She really did understand! As soon as her head hit the pillow, though, she was out. She slept all night! I was in heaven, staring at my little girl, feeling her reach over and put her hand on my arm...and even though I didn't feel her kicking in my belly, I sure felt her kicking me all night long last night! I didn't get much sleep, but spent most of the night pleading with the Lord to allow me to take her home in 2 1/2 weeks. I am so in love with her and cannot bear the thought of leaving her here.

This morning we had to wake her up. She's a slow riser, but very compliant.

oops...running out of internet time...I'll post more later (pictures, too)

5 comments:

  1. Ahhh! Words cannot express how happy I am for you! EVERYONE is so happy and emotional for you, it's neat to see how your journey is affecting everyone in this end too! Still praying for that visa! Thanks for the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! She has a fun mom! What an answer to prayer that she slept through and has been cheerful in spirit. Neat to have the guest house to try the ropes privately as a family...What's your daily life like? Do you still take her to school? Is there any further contact with mom or neighbors, etc....? We'll keep praying for the timing of government paperwork, etc...Thanks for sharing your journey. What a blessing! :) Love to you three Minnixes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me want to cry! How awesome! I am so excited for you and her! You're a mommy, Melissa! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm right behind you.........adopting an older boy in Uganda. I get teary eyed when I think of you not being able to bring her home in 2 1/2 weeks. We just left our son in January and it is the worst..........can't wait to hear about everything. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you don't have time to answer my e-mail (most likely) but if by chance you do I was just wondering if you applied for your USCIS paperwork before your homestudy was complete? I'm getting several opinions. One says, apply now, you can always let the homestudy "catch" up, the other, says, no wait for homestudy and send in together? What did you do?

    suzy.gillies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete