Thursday, February 25, 2010

Praying for a Miracle

Jenice requested two updates per day. I don't know if I can do that every day, but here's the second post for today! :) (PS: Thanks for all your help with work stuff, Jenice!)

Some of you have been asking for specific prayer requests. Here are a few:
1. Pray for Doreen. She is still having meltdowns at night. Last night was the most intense one so far (more of a temper tantrum), but it was way shorter. I think that's a good thing? I finally sat on the bed and started reading a book to her, and she calmed down. She stood next to the bed for a few minutes, then sat on the edge, then lay down next to me, then scooted closer and reached her arm out so she was touching me. She fell asleep next to me. I think it is just so hard for her to be stuck between two worlds. She goes to school right near where she used to live, but then comes into this American world in the evenings. It's got to be so confusing.

2. Pray for us to get everything done next week so that we can leave on our scheduled return flight. This would literally take a miracle. We go to court on Monday, then have to wait for a written ruling. This can take as long as the judge decides to draw it out....even weeks. I don't think she will do that, though. After we get the ruling we go to the Embassy for a visa appointment. The visa can be issued within 24 hours if all the paperwork is done correctly. So it is possible, but if you've ever been to Africa, you know that everything takes ten times longer than you originally think it will/should. It's just the way things are. BUT GOD. One of my favorite phrases from the Bible. It is unlikely that we will get everything done, BUT GOD can do it if He chooses. Please pray that He would let us come home. I may have to take days without pay if we don't get home on that flight (even though I still have about 70 sick days saved up...ugh).

6 comments:

  1. so sorry that the pain is starting to bubble up for her more often. THE BEST resource I've found on helping my children adjust to their new reality is "The Connected Child" by Karyn Purvis. Here's a website connected with the book as well...
    http://empoweredtoconnect.org/

    funny.... I'm just writing about some of this same stuff on my own blog today.

    praying for all of you ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will pray!!!! Thinking of you and Doreen every day! Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Having had a child who was melting down the first weeks in Africa, I can tell you with all certainty that your daughter is grieving. Big time. She may not be able to articulate this, even for years. But all behavior at this point comes from a base of fear, uncertainty, grief, and trauma. (adoption is traumatic) My favorite book that addresses a lot of this, is called 'The Connected Child' It is a must read. Bless you in this very tender, raw time. Bless you with patience, discernment, and lots of support.

    Coming to the US will bring another layer of grief and uncertainty. Bond all you can with her right now so that you are her safe person once her world is gone.

    I think you are brave!

    Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your prayer touched me. I'm praying! I found this site helpful www.holylandprayer.com Check it; maybe it gives you a relief. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BUT GOD can do it! And I will pray and ask Him to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa:

    We have been following your blog and are praying for you and Doreen. We know that everything will work for you the two of you. Thanks for the daily updates..it has been very fascinating for us to follow!

    Eric & Jennifer Berchtold

    ReplyDelete