Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Rough Night


Things have gone surprisingly well, but we have had a few tough moments. Last night Dorie was so homesick, crying and begging me to take her home. It broke my heart!

She settled down after a while, and cuddled up to me all night. This morning she is doing better, but I don't think we are out of the woods just yet. I was thankful to the Lord that she did cry--it shows me that she has deeply connected to her biological mother. Someday, my prayer is that she will feel that deeply for me.

We took Dorie to visit her birthmother today. When we got there she refused to get out of the car, so we waited and her mother came out to us. We had a nice visit for about 15 minutes and then left. Dorie seems very fine today. She told our friend's Ugandan housekeeper that she didn't want to get out of the car because she was afraid I was going to leave her there. Poor thing, she has so many emotions! I am just happy that she was very willing to come back with us. I think the bonding is beginning.

Our court date is scheduled for next Monday. Things are not officially resolved yet, but it is moving in the right direction. We had dinner with some other adoptive families last night. One of the couples had just received their legal guardianship ruling from the same judge as we have. My attorney looked at their paperwork and was confident that they will get their visa. They are hoping to meet with the Embassy officials tomorrow, so please pray!
She loves apples...this is all that's left when she's done!
And she also loves Liana! Today they dressed like twins!! Dorie pointed at their shirts, shorts, and shoes and said, "Pinkie--pinkie; shorts--shorts; pinkie--pinkie!"

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad the bonding is beginning. She looks so happy and both your and your mom are beaming.

    It brings tears to my eyes everytime I read your blog. Happy tears!

    Love you and praying for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am continuing to keep you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears, Melissa. Oh man...I just can't imagine the emotions that are indeed running in her heart. Praying for you guys!!!!! Can't wait to hear more news on the court date!!! Which friends have their visa appt??!! Praying for that as well! Praying for bonding and peace and grace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the pics and the updates--for letting us see through the window of your real life together. How great to have the 'mom' support of your mom and another mom of little girls as you ride the ups and downs of these first days together. What a treat just to have people to go through this transition with. The Lord is so good to surround you with input form other adoptive families, news from the attorney, a peek at the paperwork, an approaching court date with a hopeful outcome, etc...We will continue to pray for wisdom as you work things out together in all aspects of your day. What a blessing to have this first phase to try to ropes with Dorie still in her familiar surroundings, yet branching out with you day by day. We will pray that the Lord will continue to prepare you all for what's ahead and that your faith will be strengthened as you look to the Lord for all things! Way to go! We love you! Looking forward to a resolution and a 'plan' for what's next...... :) Jen

    ReplyDelete