Wednesday, February 17, 2010

She smiled!

I didn't have a lot of expectations for my first meeting...all I hoped for was a smile. I was not disappointed! My words will not express how wonderful today was, but I'll give it a shot.


We spent the morning with my attorneys and they informed me that there was a very big meeting today. Hopefully things are moving in the right direction and we will hear some really good news soon! Please keep praying! I cannot leave my sweet girl here! We went to Doreen's school in the afternoon. I couldn't wait to meet her. When we arrived we were ushered in to the headmaster's office. We sat on a bench against the wall and I was thanked for being Doreen's "sponsor." Lynne clarified that I was actually adopting her and asked if we could see her. When she walked in she was so shy! But she did sit close to me and rested her hand on my leg. After a few minutes she reached for my hand. Ahhhh....! When I introduced my mom as her "jjajja" (grandma), she smiled the sweetest smile!

We left after just a few minutes. It wasn't the emotional first meeting I'd imagined, but it was sweet. We went back to pick her up from school at 4:30 (yes, she goes to school from 7:30am-4:30pm!). When we got there, her birthmother was waiting to meet us. That was when I lost it. She and I hugged and I couldn't stop the tears. She sweetly whispered in my ear, "Don't cry, don't cry..." which just made me cry harder.


We left in Lynne's car and went for ice cream. Sweet Baby Girl likes chocolate! She tasted mine (coconut) and seemed to like it as well. We bought "real" food for her mother, and she kept staring at it. Finally, I offered the leftovers to her and she chowed down. She capped it all off with a soda and a smile. We had good but simple conversation with her mother. She assured me this is what she wants. It was hard, but I'm thankful to have the opportunity to get to know this selfless woman.


We walked down to their home and caught a glimpse of life in the slums. Along the way, Doreen stopped, turned, and reached for my hand. My heart soared! Their house is tiny. We only spent a few moments with them there, took some photos, and then left. We agreed that I will pick Doreen up from school tomorrow and she will stay with me from now on. Please pray for her.














So here are a few things I learned about her today:
*She has a good appetite.
*Her favorite foods are rice and matoke.

*She knows her numbers and letters in English.

*She has a deep voice. So cute!
*She is ticklish.

*She has a great giggle!

*She sticks her tongue out a little when she smiles.

*She nods "yes" to everything...basically, she doesn't understand a word I say.

*She is a cuddly girl and likes holding hands.

*She is only 5 years old...not 6!








11 comments:

  1. oh my heart is soaring and breaking just reading your story. You are doing a great job that requires great faith! I can't wait to hear how things continue to go for all of you. SO glad you've finally met!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious! I am crying as I read this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa I am in tears. God is so good. I can't tell you how grateful I am to see that little girl in her mama's arms. And I know how you feel about birth mama. It is gut-wrenching isn't it? I feel like I could never, ever do it, but then by His grace I don't know what it is like to be in their shoes. Can't wait to see you guys. I am covering you in prayer for your first days together. Beautiful pics, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for you and Doreen!!!! I am glad you finally got to hold her. We will be praying for a good outcome from the meeting and for court.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa,
    It is so awesome to see pictures of the two of you together! You look like you've been together forever! I am so happy for you and will be praying that the rest of your trip goes smoothly and you get to bring your sweet little girl home soon!
    Kristin (Hegle) Glur

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Melissa: There are no words to express how truly precious this is. Your smile says it all.

    We are just so incredibly happy for you and Dorie, and are so glad she's so accepting of you.

    What a emotional roller coaster you must be on right now.

    The Lord has done so many amazing things on this journey. The VISA thing isn't even an issue for Him. We will continue to pray that the meeting goes well and you'll be home soon with your daughter

    I wish I could hug you!

    Love you,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness!! She is so beautiful and I am SO thrilled for you!!

    Praying all the details get worked out quickly and you are able to bring home your precious girl quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWESOME!!!!!!! I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Melissa--What a wonderful first meeting!! She is such a cutie--I cannot wait to hear more about her. How incredible that you were able to meet her birthmother--wow. I had tears in my eyes when you said you were crying and she comforted you. My goodness. The Lord is so awesome and faithful!! I will be praying you all can come home together soon :-)

    Blessings-
    Laurie
    Westmont '93

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh melissa! i just read this whole page! my heart and prayers go out to you!!! wait a wonderful thing. i have no doubt that the Lord will do good things and has good things in store for you. He has paved the road ahead of you and knows exactly your hearts desires. your baby girl is absolutly adorable. such a cutie, and her mother, such a sweet face. her eyes and smile look confident in you and your girl. i haven't seen you in forever, but i always hold you near and dear to my heart. if ever a time to see you again, is you with that beautiful girl. my continual prayers are with you, your girl and this whole process. i can't wait to hear more.

    julienne

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...duh--I had a hard time getting to this post....I am so lame with blogs...How wonderful to see you THERE--all of this is unfolding and the Lord is blessing you so richly. We have enjoyed praying for you and the situation. It is SO LOADED and we trust in the Lord's perfect plan and lovingkindness toward you and all involved. He is so sweet and faithful. We just know you are "treasuring up all these things and pondering them in your heart" Luke 2:19. WE LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the updates. Keep the coming. We are eager to hear more! We love you!!!! Jen and fam

    ReplyDelete