Friday, March 19, 2010

Sweet Moments

My girl is stubborn. Very.

But she is also so sweet. She is giving. She shares with others willingly (most of the time). She takes care of her friends (especially ones who are younger than her). She is a gem.

When we are driving through town and get stopped in traffic, children come to the windows and beg. It breaks my heart. I've started carrying snacks with me, and I ask Dorie if she wants to share "her" snacks with those kids. She always does, and pulls something out of my purse to give to them. The last time it happened she told me, "God says to give." Yes, my sweet girl, He does.
When she goes to sleep at night, she turns to me and scoots as close as she can get...she is not satisfied until our noses are almost touching. If she wakes up during the night she reaches for me and puts her hand on my face or pulls my arm around her waist.

Yesterday I had an emotional day. We called my mom, and I began to cry. Really cry. Couldn't stop. I haven't really cried throughout this journey, so the tears were many. Dorie crawled on my lap and said, "Don't cry, Mom...Mom, don't cry." Then she took her little hand, and palm open, wiped my eyes--from forehead straight down to my cheeks. She grabbed the phone and kept saying, "Jaja (Grandma), tell mom don't cry." It only made me cry harder. Holly, who is staying with Brian and Lynne, came down and asked if she could pray with me. I couldn't stop crying through her prayer, so Dorie leaned on me and repeatedly wiped my tears. By the time she was done my mascara was halfway down my face, but I didn't care. Her tenderness for me filled my heart. My girl is special...can't wait for you all to meet her!

7 comments:

  1. wow...what a tender loving heart she seems to have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How precious! What a sweet girl comforting her Mama!

    Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and I can't wait to meet to either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been following your blog and praying for you everyday! We are waiting for our court date in Uganda to bring home our TWO little girls, ages 5 and 8. Thank you for sharing your journey. I would love to get a t-shirt from you! Please let me know who to contact and how to get one. Blessings!
    www.momisthird.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure this journey has had a lot of tough moments, along with some incredibly great and moving moments. I am praying for you daily! Dorie sounds like a girl with a huge heart! We can't wait to meet her, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thinking of you both and praying tonight ~ Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. melissa, I'm glad you were able to release all your emotions, a good cry can be so therapeutic and freeing. I'm glad that you had that moment and that it included Dorie trying to comfort you. I am praying for peace in whatever the Lord brings you through. She sounds like such a sweet special girl. May you relish and embrace the adventure he's brought you to with hope! love-rosie

    ReplyDelete