Thursday, March 18, 2010

There are caterpillars crawling on my head!
















Dorie has been wanting long hair for some time. She started to grow it out before I came, and it was finally long enough to braid! She was thrilled...until she realized how long it would take and how much it would hurt. For five and a half HOURS my baby sat while the woman worked on her hair. The last hour and a half she cried and cried. Poor baby. One of the great things that came out of it (besides how darling she looks) is that Dorie cried for me. She wanted me. She wanted me to lie on the floor with my head in her lap. It was awkward, but so precious. But we noticed that when I was in the room she cried harder, so eventually I had to leave. I know she is dramatic, but I also knew it really hurt! By the time it was finished it was 9pm (her bedtime is usually 8:30), so we bathed and went to bed. It took her a long time to fall asleep because she couldn't lay her head down without feeling pain, but she eventually nodded off and we had a relatively peaceful night.










When it was all done, she said (in Luganda), "I feel like there are caterpillars crawling on my head!" She loves to push her hair back from her face. So dramatic!










I had a very distinct idea of what I wanted, and it was not what we got. But Dorie is happy and she looks so cute. She actually told the woman she wanted it this length (I wanted longer). She feels so special today!

2 comments: